These lovely cupcakes are easy to bake and fun to decorate.
Why not have a competition for whose cupcakes are the best decorated? You could try edible glitter, sugar shapes or sprinkles - or different food colouring for the frosting.
For the cupcakes
110g/4oz butter or margarine
110g/4oz caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g/4oz self-raising flour
1 - 2 tbsp milk
For the buttercream icing
140g/5oz butter, softened
280g/10oz icing sugar
1 - 2 tbsp milk
A few drops food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the food colouring and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl.
Download Vanilla cupcakes recipe