Nadia Sawalha and her daughter Lily, also known as Kiki-Bee, love to bake together.
Try their lovely lemon and lime drizzly poppy cake.
- 225g unsalted butter (make sure it’s nice and soft)
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- Zest of a lemon
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- Juice of 1½ limes
- 80g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 160C, Gas Mark 3, and grease and line a 450g loaf tin.
- Put the butter and sugar into a large bowl and whisk until it turns really pale and fluffy.
- Then whisk in the eggs gently, one at a time, alternating with a tbs of the measured flour.
- Stir in the lemon zest, poppy seeds and the rest of the flour and mix well. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45-55 mins.
- Test whether it’s done by inserting a skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. Now leave it to cool in the tin and make the drizzly bit by mixing the lime juice and sugar.
- Prick the top of the cake all over with a fork then pour the drizzle over it. Don’t take it out of the tin until it’s cool.
Download Nadia's Recipe card