Nadia Sawalha's lovely light sponge with a dusting of icing sugar and a mouthwatering rose raspberry buttercream filling.
A sponge with a difference!
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 120g softened butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly whisked
- Zest of whole unwaxed lemon
Heat oven to 190C, Gas Mark 5
- Grease and line two 18cm cake tins. Put butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs and then stir in the flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Allow the sponges to cool completely and then put the buttercream into an icing bag and pipe on to the cake. Dust with icing sugar.
Rose Raspberry Buttercream
- 140g butter
- 240g icing sugar
- 4 tbs raspberry jam
- ½ tsp edible rose-water
- Whisk the butter in a large bowl until nice and soft then add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and the rose-water. Beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Beat in a little milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture. Stir in the jam until well combined.
Download Nadia's Recipe card